Kostenlos im Probemonat
War and World History
- Gesprochen von: Jonathan P. Roth
- Spieldauer: 25 Std. und 1 Min.
Der Titel konnte nicht zum Warenkorb hinzugefügt werden.
Der Titel konnte nicht zum Merkzettel hinzugefügt werden.
„Von Wunschzettel entfernen“ fehlgeschlagen.
„Podcast folgen“ fehlgeschlagen
„Podcast nicht mehr folgen“ fehlgeschlagen
Für 57,95 € kaufen
This fresh and challenging inquiry into human societies takes a deep look at the effects and roles of war. As the most complex of all human endeavors, warfare - from ancient to modern - has spurred the growth of essential new technologies; demanded the adoption of complex economic systems; shaped the ideology and culture of nations; promoted developments in art and literature; and spread faith across the globe.
Over the course of 48 highly provocative lectures, Professor Roth explores armed conflict across five continents. Far from a traditional approach to military events, this panoramic series is not the history of battles or military campaigns, but the story of the intimate interconnections of war with human cultures and societies and how these connections have shaped history.
You'll study the complex effects of culture, economics, politics, and religion on war - and war's influences on them. In this context, you chart the colorful history of the practice and methodology of warfare. Among many other things, you'll learn about
- the development and evolution of history-making military weapons such as bows, horses, swords, and gunpowder;
- the interface of warfare with religion, which has bred some of the most unusual and poignant conflicts in history;
- the 17th-century European nation-state, where militaries were "nationalized" into central governments and military service was imbued with ideology of citizenship and loyalty to state;
- the crucial military underpinnings of nationalism, Communism, Fascism, and other political movements from the modern era.
Probe these pivotal and revealing features of history and deepen your understanding of our extraordinary, evolving world.
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying reference material will be available in your My Library section along with the audio.
Das sagen andere Hörer zu War and World HistoryNur Nutzer, die den Titel gehört haben, können Rezensionen abgeben.
Rezensionen - mit Klick auf einen der beiden Reiter können Sie die Quelle der Rezensionen bestimmen.
Convincing course concept but
A world history told from the perspective of war, can this work? Well, after listening to the course, my answer is: Yes, surprisingly well. The course discusses extensivily the interrelation of technic, religion, social changes and ideologies with the art of warfare on land and sea.
The course material is also excellent and could probably read independently.
The only minus is Prof. Roth´s habit of drawling at least one word in a sentence by a kind of two note rising melisma. I found it awful from the beginning and hated it to the end.