We each inhabit many worlds, often at the same time. From worlds on the inside to the world on a cosmic scale. Worlds imposed on us, and worlds of our own making. In time, though, all worlds will end. Bear witness:
- After the death of their grandmother, two cousins return to their family’s rural homestead to find a community rotting from the soul outward and a secret nobody dreamed their matriarch had been keeping.
- The survivors of the 1929 raid on H.P. Lovecraft’s town of Innsmouth hold the key to an anomalous new event in the ocean. If only someone could communicate with them...
- The ultimate snow day turns into the ultimate nightmare when it just doesn’t stop.
- An extreme metal musician compels his harshest critic to live up to the hyperbole of his trolling.
- With the last of a generation of grotesquely selfish city fathers on his deathbed, the residents of the town they doomed exercise their right to self-determination one last time.
- As history repeats itself and the world shivers through a volcanic winter, a group gathers around the shore of a mountain lake to, once again, invoke the magic that created the world’s most famous monster.
With Skidding Into Oblivion, his fifth collection, award-winning author Brian Hodge brings together his most concentrated assortment yet. It includes all of the best picks and awards finalists. All stories have one thing in common: It’s the end of the world as we know it, and we don’t feel fine at all.