Things you earnestly believe will happen while your parents are away:
- 1. You will remember to water the azaleas.
- 2. You will take detailed, accurate messages.
- 3. You will call your older brother, Denny, if even the slightest thing goes wrong.
- 4. You and your best friend/bandmate, Lukas, will win Battle of the Bands.
- 5. Amid the thrill of victory, Lukas will finally realize you are the girl of his dreams.
Things that actually happen:
- 1. A stranger calls who says he knew your sister.
- 2. He says he has her stuff.
- 3. What stuff? Her stuff.
- 4. You tell him your parents won't be able to -
- 5. Sukey died five years ago; can't he -
- 6. You pick up a pen.
- 7. You scribble down the address.
- 8. You get on your bike and go.
- 9. Things...get a little crazy after that.*
*Also, you fall in love, but not with Lukas.
Both exhilarating and wrenching, Hilary T. Smith's debut novel captures the messy glory of being alive, as seventeen-year-old Kiri Byrd discovers love, loss, chaos, and murder woven into a summer of music, madness, piercing heartbreak, and intoxicating joy.