The pioneering experts behind the bestselling The Whole-Brain Child - Tina Payne Bryson and Daniel J. Siegel, the New York Times bestselling author of Brainstorm - now explore the ultimate child-raising challenge: discipline. Highlighting the fascinating link between a child's neurological development and the way a parent reacts to misbehavior, No-Drama Disciplineprovides an effective, compassionate road map for dealing with tantrums, tensions, and tears - without causing a scene.
Defining the true meaning of the "d" word (to instruct, not to shout or reprimand), the authors explain how to reach your child, redirect emotions, and turn a meltdown into an opportunity for growth. By doing so, the cycle of negative behavior (and punishment) is essentially brought to a halt, as problem solving becomes a win/win situation. Inside this sanity-saving guide you'll discover
- strategies that help parents identify their own discipline philosophy - and master the best methods to communicate the lessons they are trying to impart
- facts on child brain development - and what kind of discipline is most appropriate and constructive at all ages and stages
- the way to calmly and lovingly connect with a child - no matter how extreme the behavior - while still setting clear and consistent limits
- tips for navigating your children through a tantrum to achieve insight, empathy, and repair
- twenty discipline mistakes even the best parents make - and how to stay focused on the principles of whole-brain parenting and discipline techniques.
Complete with candid stories and playful illustrations that bring the authors' suggestions to life, No-Drama Disciplineshows you how to work with your child's developing mind, peacefully resolve conflicts, and inspire happiness and strengthen resilience in everyone in the family.
©2014 Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson (P)2014 Random House Audio