Please Explain Alzheimer's Disease to Me introduces the condition to children in a colorful, sensitive, and gentle story, followed by a parent/caregiver section that supplies comprehensive information that adults can use to understand and plan for the course of the disease affecting their loved one. Dr. Zelinger, a board-certified psychologist for children, presents the situation to children in a warm, developmentally appropriate way using appealing characters of diversity, child-friendly language, and familiar scenes they can relate to, as well as scripts that parents can use when speaking to their child. This book is more than a helpful guide - it's the only book you will need if you have a child who is asking, "What's wrong with grandpa?"
- Enjoy the story and illustrations and will identify with the main characters
- Get answers to their questions
- Grasp the nature and reason for a grandparent's changes
- Learn basic biological information about brain function
- Understand why a grandparent will require more care
- Feel empowered and find ways they can be helpful
Parents and caregivers will:
- Have word-for-word scripts available to answer their child's questions
- Learn about the progression of the disease
- Understand their role and the nature of care that is required
- Gain information for decision-making in areas of medical, emotional and daily care
- Know they are not alone in this difficult journey
"Dr. Zelinger has provided an engaging book that presents important information in a user-friendly format and offers adults the foundation for easily engaging children in what may initially seem like a very difficult discussion. I will be sure to recommend this resource to everyone I know in the 'sandwich generation.'" (Shane S. Bush, PhD, ABPP, board certified in geropsychology, president, American Board of Geropsychology)
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying PDF will be available in your Audible Library along with the audio.