Jetzt kostenlos testen
Better Than Before
- Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives
- Gesprochen von: Gretchen Rubin
- Spieldauer: 9 Std. und 33 Min.
- Ungekürztes Hörbuch
- Kategorien: Beziehungen, Elternschaft & persönliche Entwicklung, Persönliche Entwicklung
The author of the blockbuster New York Times best sellers The Happiness Project and Happier at Home tackles the critical question: How do we change?
Gretchen Rubin's answer: through habits. Habits are the invisible architecture of everyday life. It takes work to make a habit, but once that habit is set, we can harness the energy of habits to build happier, stronger, more productive lives.
So if habits are a key to change, then what we really need to know is: How do we change our habits?
Better Than Before answers that question. It presents a practical, concrete framework to allow listeners to understand their habits - and to change them for good. Infused with Rubin's compelling voice, rigorous research, and easy humor, and packed with vivid stories of lives transformed, Better Than Before explains the (sometimes counterintuitive) core principles of habit formation.
Along the way Rubin uses herself as guinea pig, tests her theories on family and friends, and answers listeners' most pressing questions - oddly, questions that other writers and researchers tend to ignore:
- Why do I find it tough to create a habit for something I love to do?
- Sometimes I can change a habit overnight, and sometimes I can't change a habit no matter how hard I try. Why?
- How quickly can I change a habit?
- What can I do to make sure I stick to a new habit?
- How can I help someone else change a habit?
- Why can I keep habits that benefit others but can't make habits that are just for me?
Whether listeners want to get more sleep, stop checking their devices, maintain a healthy weight, or finish an important project, habits make change possible. Listening to just a few chapters of Better Than Before will make listeners eager to start work on their own habits - even before they've finished the audiobook.
Bonus feature: includes a full episode from the author's podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin in which she discusses how to build happier habits into everyday life.
Das sagen andere Hörer zu Better Than BeforeBewertung
Rezensionen - mit Klick auf einen der beiden Reiter können Sie die Quelle der Rezensionen bestimmen.
great to have Gretchen as Narrator. together with Charles Durhigg amongst my favorites. simple, concise and clear. well researched and using common sense. Very practical, for everyday use.
4 Leute fanden das hilfreich
- Kerstin C.
As much as I would like to love this...
Unfortunately, I have 2 major problems with this book:
1) MAJOR trigger warnings for eating disorders! Of course, eating healthy is one of the most popular habits people are trying to build. But this book names some strategies, examples and behaviours that may be triggering for anyone with an eating disorder, and there are sooo many instances of this in here!! It makes me worried about the author herself, her two young children and anyone who reads this when they're not in the right headspace for it. Especially because the author does not acknowledge that this may be a problem for anyone.
2) The book is entirely based on Rubin's distinction into four types of characters. However, if I had wanted to know about that, I would have gotten her book "the four tendencies" (now I don't see the point to do that anymore).
But there are also good points:
- very concrete ideas of action for different habits
- taking into account very individual problems with habit formation that are overlooked in other books which only focus on one aspect
- an "everyday life" approach to the topic, instead of a scientific one (though this may also be a negative point for you, if this is not what you're looking for)
1 Person fand das hilfreich