How do you feel about setting goals?
I've heard people say they feel energized, depressed, confused, terrified, pumped, ambivalent, lost...or all of the above. Here's what I've realized: Our relationship to success is inside-out. When we make our New Year's resolutions, bucket lists, big plans, or weekly to-dos, we're hoping that when we "arrive" we'll be fulfilled. Our hearts will swell as we cross the finish line, and then we can finally relax and savor our happiness. Except more often than not, that doesn't happen. Even when we meet our objectives, we wonder if we aimed too low, or took too long, or if we could have done it better. And when we fall short, we come down on ourselves like a ton of bricks. So we make the next goal, hoping it'll give us everything the last one didn't.
It's a self-defeating cycle that's burning us out. How do we change it?
Here's the whole cosmic, life-liberating revelation:
You're not actually chasing the goal. You're chasing the feeling that you hope attaining the goal will give you.
Every craving, aspiration, or goal you have - from what you eat, wear, and own, to all the things you want to create or do - is driven by a desire to feel a certain way. That's it. And that's where the Desire Map process starts. In The Desire Map Experience, I'll share a process that you'll use to transform the way you relate to every aspect of your life. It's not about learning a new time-budgeting method, filling out a questionnaire, or making another list to stick on your fridge. Instead, you'll get crystal clear about how you want to feel about everything you do. The Desire Map is holistic life planning. Here's how it works:
- We'll uncover your core desired feelings - they'll be your new North Star for living a soul-centered life
- You'll learn how to identify expectations you've picked up from your parents, the Joneses, the media, or the imaginary "they" you're always trying to impress
- We'll use guided reflections to go deep into what your soul is trying to tell you through your core desired feelings
- I'll show you how to tune into critical signals from your instincts, your body, and the people around you
- We'll apply Desire Mapping to all the major areas of your life - livelihood & lifestyle, body & wellness, creativity & learning, relationships & society, and essence & spirituality
- You'll learn how to create practical plans with daily, weekly, and monthly actions that will bring more and more of your core desired feelings into your life
- I'll be sharing poetry, stories, and inspirational truths to help you stay in touch with the sweetness of life
You'll make this process your own. It's not a one-size-fits-all deal. You'll create your Desire Map in the way that lets your soul speak loud and clear in every day of your life.
Feeling good along the way to your goals doesn't mean you won't need to work your ass off - but when you do, you'll do the work joyously. You'll be creating goals that are life-affirming, nourishing, practical, forgiving, and true to who you are.
©2014 Danielle LaPorte (P)2014 Danielle LaPorte