Before and After Getting Your Puppy is a simple, practical guide for anyone bringing a new puppy into the family. In clear steps, with easy-to-follow training deadlines, Dr. Ian Dunbar, who pioneered puppy classes and a loving style of dog training in the 1970s, presents a structured yet playful and humorous plan for raising a wonderful dog.
The guide is based on six developmental deadlines:
- Completing owner education and preparation
- Assessing a puppy's prior socialization and education
- Teaching errorless house-training and chew-toy training
- Completing a socialization program of meeting strange dogs and people
- Learning bite inhibition
- A continuing program of ongoing training
In the first half of the book, Dr. Dunbar focuses on what the owner needs to know to select a great puppy. In the second half, he presents the crucial lessons the puppy must be taught during its impressionable early development. Over time, Dr. Dunbar's kind, positive program has been proven the most effective.
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying reference material will be available in your Library section along with the audio.
©2004 Dr. Ian Dunbar (P)2016 Tantor