Brian Cox stars as the Edinburgh detective in eight episodes of the BBC Radio 4 series.
Inspired by the real-life memoirs of a Victorian inspector in Scotland, James McLevy prowls the dark streets of 1860s Edinburgh bringing criminals to justice, with the assistance of Constable Mulholland.
'To Keep Him Honest': with big bets on a champion boxing match, the local crooks keep McLevy busy.
- 'Picture of Innocence': a high court judge is dead, and suspicion falls on his wife.
- 'The Chosen One': the Princess of the Occult is a sell-out success, but McLevy thinks she's a fraud.
- 'The Reckoning': as Jean prepares for a wedding, death stalks McLevy.
- 'A Bolt from the Blue': a corpse is found floating in Leith docks.
- 'End of the Line': two ladies discover the body of a drunken Italian aristocrat at Waverley station.
- 'Jack O'Diamonds': Jean Brash plans revenge on a sadistic client, but he is not a man to cross lightly.
- 'Queen of Spades': Jean's battle with Caleb Grant has heartbreaking consequences.
Written by David Ashton, these atmospheric radio dramas costar Siobhan Redmond as Jean Brash and Michael Perceval-Maxwell as Constable Mulholland.
©2016 David Ashton (P)2016 BBC Worldwide Limited