Selected Shorts is an award-winning series of classic and contemporary short fiction read by acclaimed actors. The readings are recorded live at Peter Norton Symphony Space in New York City. The Selected Shorts radio series is a co-production of Symphony Space and WNYC, New York Public Radio, and is heard on public radio stations nationwide.
In this collection:
- Nicholson Baker's "Subsoil" read by Thomas Gibson - A darkly comic thriller about a tractor historian besieged by man-eating potatoes.
- John Updike's "Farrell's Caddie" read by Charles Keating - An American golfer gets more than golfing tips from his Scottish caddie.
- David Schickler's "Jamaica" read by Isaiah Sheffer - A man with his head stuck between the banisters has no choice but to listen in on his wife's "Gorgon Book Club".
- Neil Gaiman's "Chivalry" read by Christina Pickles - A delicious tale of an elderly British matron who buys the Holy Grail at a rummage sale.
- Leonard Michaels' "Nachman from Los Angeles" read by David Rackoff - A wonderfully silly tale of misadventure on a college campus.
- Ron Carlson's "On the U.S.S. Fortitude" read by Laura Esterman - A decommissioned aircraft carrier becomes home for a single welfare mother and her children in this zany story.
- Etgar Keret's "Fatso" read by John Guare - An offbeat romance with a very comic nightly ritual.
© and (P)2004 The Symphony Space, Inc.